The Miz River 明志江河 ミジ川

The river reveals one's aspirations. Created on 30 March 2006. Row a boat to explore this river...

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Tuesday: Piano Tuning Day

Where's The Mailman?
Hmm... The mailman don't seem to be inside the bank working today. There's always nothing much to collect from my department pigeonhole. Well, I realised that there's one big bulk of mails that are meant for us to process... Ok, that means that the mailmen were not here working today, which also means tomorrow will be an extremely hectic day... Another dead day for me...

There were also a lot of fax coming in today, but not as many as yesterday. Well, I managed to complete keying those fax in applications, and also have time to print out the customers inquiries. Woah... After priniting the customers inquiries for 35 Visa Platinum upgrade applications, I've alreadyt used up almost 2 rims of paper... Hmm... I wonder how many trees I had killed... Hopefully they are all recycled paper...

Lunch at Tech Point
Ok, the sky turned dark when we were to go for lunch. The perm staff who were already at Tech Point canteen called us to help them bring their umbrellas there. Ok, so we just decided to have our lunch at Tech Point. Haha... Again had that vegetarian bee hoon for lunch. Think I should start eating something else next time. Anyway, Guan Si came along with us to Tech Point canteen and brought his own oatmeal with raisins again. He said that he was going to have that for 1 month of lunch, after having 2 months of cup noodles in the office. Hmm...

Piano Tuning
When I got home, I realised that the things that were placed on top of the piano were being moved. Well, I supposed the piano tuner had come to our house and tune the piano, and yup, my grandmother confirmed with me about that. Ok, so I decided to play the piano to hear how it sounds now. Hmm... seemed to have clearer sound, but the person still tune it a bit flat... Well, I supposed the strings are too old already, so it might be difficult to tune it sharper, and if they do so, the strings might snapped. Well, piano strings are very difficult to change. When you look inside the piano, can can see how the strings on the left side are cross over with the strings on the right side. Moreover, the keys on the middle of the piano uses 2 strings per key, while the keys on the right side uses 3 strings per key... Piano strings are just quite complicated (well, maybe for me...). Might pose some problems when changing strings.

Still remember when I was young, I would always look at how the piano tuner tuned the piano, at the same time, look at how the inside looked like. Haha... It can looked interesting. Some just used their ears and a tuning fork to tune the piano, others need a device to tune a piano. Well, they need to play all the 88 keys and, at the same time, use a driver and tune the piano, by turning the tuning pins. Take quite some time to tune the piano. Yup, can be kind of a hard work.

Still remember last time Shengjie asked me while I can't tune the piano strings on my own, when people can tune their guitar and violin on their own. Well, piano strings are not like guitar or violin strings. There are 88 keys needed to be tune, unlike guitar, which only have 6, or violin, which only have 4. Guitar have tabs, which can be used as a guide for tuning other strings, once you tune the low E string properly. For violin, once you tune the A string, you can just use your ears and tune other strings perfect 5th apart. Piano? Well, there are 88 keys to be tuned. There are no tabs inside the piano to guide you in tuning. You can tune the piano by perfect 5th, perfect 4th, or whatever note apart. Piano, unlike violin, is a well-tempered instrument, which means all the keys are equally spaced (using logarithm). After all, on the piano, the perfect 5th are not really that perfect, it is a bit flater than the actual perfect 5th. Can't tune a perfect piano, or else Ii'll only be restricted to playing only certain keys on the piano, and also restrictions on modulations as well. Anyway, 88 strings are just too much for an amateur to handle. If I tune the piano, think the piano will sound awkard, becuase many notes might be out of tune with the others... Better not tune myself, it's ok to spend some money on the piano tuner. Anyway, they also help you to regulate the piano, so that the piano wouldn't spoil so easily.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home