The Miz River 明志江河 ミジ川

The river reveals one's aspirations. Created on 30 March 2006. Row a boat to explore this river...

Friday, January 12, 2007

The First Week of the Semester

Lectures, Lecturers and More
Just to keep you'll an update, these are the modules that I'm taking this semester.
CS1102C - Data Structures and Algorithms (C++)
CS1231 - Discrete Structures
EG1413 - Critical Thinking and Writing
MA1506 - Mathematics II
MLE1101 - Introductory Materials Science and Engineering
SSA2202 - Changing Landscapes of Singapore


CS1102C
The lecturer isn't that bad. He is Chinese-educated (a Singaporean), so his English may not be that perfect. Well, I have to say that he going through the C to C++ part quite quickly, so I have to keep reading up the lecture notes and practise a bit using my laptop to at least understand a bit what he's saying. Think that he might be a bit rush for the lecture, just one week and he covered strings, structures and classes. Kind of difficult to absord what he had taught us. Well, there's no webcast for us to view for the last 2 lectures, but he understands our problems and managed to get the lecture webcasted.

CS1231
During the first lecture, the lecturer just introduce himself and ask us if there are any questions. After that he just released us from lecture, so we attend a lecture for just less than 20 minutes. Ok, so I just rush down from Faculty of Engineering to Faculty of Science just for that... Never mind, I wonder how would those people who lived at Pasir Ris and only had CS1231 lecture on that day felt...
Well, so far the lecture covered about logic. Hmm... It kind of look like some IQ module for me. Hopefully won't get poor grades because other people did much better than me...

MA1506
I think the lecturer is an opera singer!!! His voice is just so high, I thought he was singing a chinese opera to us... Anyway, if you attend his lecture, so far what I feel is that you won't be listening to his lectures, because you are just way too busy copying notes that he put up on the OHP (and also you can't really decipher much what he is saying anyway).
Unfortunately, the coordinator for this module is a cauasian, so our lecture notes and tutorials are mostly made up of words and sentences... Hmm... It can be difficult to digest what the lecture notes and the tutorials are trying to say though...

MLE1101
Hmm... The lecturer is kind of "lor-so". He talk a lot of rubbish during the introductory lecture, and talk quite slowly as well... We had our 2 periods of MLE1101 lecture at LT 7, and having 2 periods of lecture at LT 7 can be a torture, especially when the air-con at LT 7 isn't working properly, and the ambience is poor as well. Can't really concentrate in such lecture theatre, I wonder when they are going to upgrade it.
So far we learned about the atom structures in the lectures, which is kind of like Chemistry to me. Well, I supposed there's some Physics concepts to that.

SSA2202
So far I think that the lecturer is the best among all those lecturers that I had met on the first week of the semester. I feel that she is humourous, and able to give the lecture clearly and make it interesting as well. The only think I don't like about the lecture is to print out the lecture notes, because the lecture notes contains a lot of pictures, which waste a lot of ink from my printer...

Well, from next week onwards, we will start to have EG1413 - Critical Writing and Thinking tutorials. Ok, time to write intellectual essays...

Textbooks
So far I had spent about $120 on textbooks (all new textbooks). Hopefully, I won't just buy the textbooks and throw onto the shelves or on bed and leave it to rot, like what I did last semester on my Electrical Engineering textbook. Well, not that I didn't want to read it, but I find that the focus and the method they are using on the textbook are kind of different from what the lecture notes covered. In order not to confuse myself, I decided to just stick on with my lecture notes. Well, at least I managed to utilised my C programming textbook (because the exam is open book), and use a bit of my University Physics and Economics textbook to seek help for my tutorials.

One Recent Incident
Last Thursday, Meijun wanted to take bus 188 to Harbourfront and take the train back home from there. She wanted the 3 of us, Hong Joo, Kian Heng and me, to accompany her there, so we agreed. Well, it cost me $1.08 to travel to Harbourfront bus interchange, as compared to the normal $0.65 to travel to Clementi or Buona Vista station. Never mind about that, I was also interested with the bus route anyway.

Well, as we travelling in the bus, there was this man, about 40 to 50+, who enter the bus talking on his mobile phone quite loudly. Well, the bus captain keep waving his hand to the man. I didn't know what the bus captain was trying to say, until I realised that the person haven't paid for his bus fare yet. Yup, I didn't hear any beeping sound or the coins sound when he entered the bus... Hmm... The bus captain was waving quite furiously, but he didn't respond to that. In the end, he decided to continue driving off the bus...

Well, we decided to see if the man tap his card at the end of the journey. Yup, he didn't... We were kind of angry and upset with the person who did not pay for the bus fare throughout the journey. Well, don't think he forgot to tap his card, because I don't think he can forget twice, and the bus captain had signalled to him... Most likely he knew about that, but he didn't want to pay... Haiz... I wonder how could such person exist... I feel that the bus captain had to be fiercer and daring, so that the person will remember to pay...

Some Changes
Ok, now my Violin lesson had changed to Friday 8 - 9pm. So, that means that I'll only had Flute on Sunday 3 - 4pm. So, if you want to ask me out for a movie, I'll be free after 9pm on Friday, or after 4pm on Sunday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home