The Miz River 明志江河 ミジ川

The river reveals one's aspirations. Created on 30 March 2006. Row a boat to explore this river...

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Runspiration

Making the Point to Run
Just recently, I read one of my friend's blog about running 5 times a week (5km for 1, 3 and 5, and 2.4km for 2 and 4). Initially, I thought it would be a bit crazy to go for a run for so many times a week, but after giving another thought, I felt that it wasn't such a bad idea after all. After reading through the blog and being "inspired" as well, I decided to make myself run more often, starting from yesterday with the 6km run at Bishan Park 1 and 2. Maybe I'll start off with about 2 times a week, hopefully I'll would be able to increase my running frequency (that is if I had that time to do so ). Not only for the preparation for the upcoming MILK run (I'm only running the 4km community run by the way), it is also for fitness purposes, controlling my body mass, and to prepare for the Standard Chartered Marathon (Half-Marathon) this December. Yup, I don't want to get leg cramps again like last year Standard Chartered Marathon (Half-Marathon) (which make me almost immobilised for about a month).

Anyway, from what I know so far, my sister will also be taking the Standard Chartered Marathon this year as well, after pursuasion from one of her friends and me. Yup, initially she just wanted to run for the 10km, but we pursuade her to take up the 21km run instead, because the 10km run is unchallenging and short. Well, we shall see when the registration for Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2007 opens in late-July.

Anyway, just asking, other than Kavan, who is being "forced" by his friend (of course the friend is NOT me) to sign up for the MILK run, is there anyone else joining the MILK run (community run) with us?

Modules Planning
Even though it's only June, which is still about 1.5 to 2 months away from CORS bidding, it's good to plan modules as early as possible, and to plan for alternative modules as well, to avoid disappoint due to clashes, unable to secure modules and so on. Yup, I wanted to take FNA1002X (Financial Accounting) to take advantage of the "freshmen protection scheme", but unfortunately the exam timing clashes with one of my core modules, CS1102C (Data Structures and Algorithms). Wanted to take GEK1002 (Introduction to Japanese Studies) as an alternative, but again the exam timing clashes with another core module, CS1231 (Discrete Structures). I did consider MKT1003 (Principles of Marketing), but if I take that, I have to wake up early in the morning for all the 5 schooling days. After a lot of consideration, thinking and planning, I decided on a Singapore Studies, SSA2202 (Changing Landscapes of Singapore). Ok, I thought I'll be in trouble taking up that module just by myself alone, because the CA consist of a 35% project, which requires me to find another 2 people to do the project with me. Fortunately, the teaching assistant is very kind enough to help me to find 2 project mates for me, and the 2 project mates are also willing to contribute to the projects fairly as well, which we managed to get a B+ in the end.

In order to avoid last minute planning, I decided to plan up some of the modules (especially electives) that I'm interested in planning. The first thing I did was to mapped out my core modules (even though they are mostly preallocated, I still mapped out to see what I have cleared, what I need to take, and what prerequisites I still need for other core modules).

For my course, these are the foundation/core modules that I may need to clear.
Faculty Requirements
ES1000: Basic English
EG1471: English for Academic Purposes (Engg)
EG1413: Critical Thinking And Writing
EG2401: Engineering Professionalism
HR2002: Understanding Human Relations in the New Economy

Foundation Modules
CS1101C: Programming Methodology
EG1108: Electrical Engineering
MA1505: Mathematics I
MA1506: Mathematics II
MLE1101: Introductory Materials Science and Engineering

Core Modules
CS1102C: Data Structures and Algorithms
CS1231: Discrete Structures
CS2103: Software Engineering
EE2005: Electronics
EE2006: Digital Design
EE2007: Microprocessor Systems
EE2009: Signals
EE2012: Analytical Methods in Electrical and Computer Engineering
EE3204: Computer Communication Networks I
EE3207: Computer Architecture

By using what I have learnt from CS1102C and CS1231 about graphs (hehe... :P), this is how I mapped out my core modules.


Based on my QET results, I'm only exempted for ES1000, unfortunately. But never mind, EG1471 is really quite helpful in my opinion. After studying for 2 semesters, I managed to clear some of my foundation and core modules. Since I have accumulated 44MCs, I have met the minimum requirement of 37MCs to get me to Stage 2 (which is CPE2 for me in this case).


After that, I "white-out" those modules that I have been exempted/cleared, leaving the other modules behind.


Using the graph concepts, I can only take those modules that does not have anymore prerequisites. In this case, I can now take those modules in black, namely CS2103, EE2005, EE2006, EE2009, EE2012, EG2401 and HR2002. Those in red (EE2007, EE3204 and EE3207) still need prerequisites, so I still can't take this modules yet for the next semester.


Well, I wanted to mapped out my Technical Electives and ULR/UEM requirements as well, but the module list is just too exhaustive for a very small page, and it is too tedious to mapped out also, so I'll leave that out for the time being.

Just for those people in NUS Engineering:
Stage 1 -> Stage 2 (eg. MPE1 to MPE2): Accumulate at least 37 MCs
Stage 2 -> Stage 3 (eg. MPE2 to MPE3): Accumulate at least 77 MCs
Stage 3 -> Stage 4 (eg. MPE3 to MPE4): Accumulate at least 112 MCs (excluding IA)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home