The Miz River 明志江河 ミジ川

The river reveals one's aspirations. Created on 30 March 2006. Row a boat to explore this river...

Friday, February 23, 2007

Names

Names in Different Languages
Recently, I have been discussing with my parents and my sister about my name in other dialects and languages. My name, as on the profile, is "Kang Ming Zhi" (Chinese: 江明志) (no harm putting my name on the blog, since my name has already been given away on the profile). I was wondering, why I'm using Hokkien for my surname, and Mandarin for my given name. Well, since my family is using Kang (instead of Jiang) as the surname, so I supposed they want to keep the uniformity. In that case, rather than being known as "Jiang Mingzhi" (no spacing between "Mingzhi" in this case), I'm called "Kang Ming Zhi" (with the spacing). But, how about using fully Hokkien instead?

Well, my mother told me that if I'm using Hokkien, my name would sound very awful, and I have to agree with that. "Kang Meng Chee", that's my name in full Hokkien. Yup, it kind of sound a bit "rough" to me, so it's a good thing I'm not using my Hokkien name. Well, say if I'm using Cantanese, then my name would be "Kong Meng Chee"... Also not much of a difference from Hokkien, just that the surname uses an "O" instead...

If I were to use Japanese, then it would be pronounced as "Kou Mei Shi" (Kanji: 江明志, Hiragana: こうめいし). Hmm... Sounds kind of odd to me... But anyway, there are different ways to pronounce those 3 characters for Kanji, still looking which one would be the "nicest". If it is Korean, then I'll be known as "Kang Myeong Ji" (Korean: 강명지). Hehe... Doesn't sound too bad to me, just that the initials might look kind of funny... Yup, think it's better to stick to my original name instead.

My Own Pasta
Think for 2 of the nights, I've been learning to make pasta from my aunt. Yup, I thought it can be quite interesting to make one, so I decided to learn. The first time I baked the pasta was with my sister. Haha... We were kind of clumsy when chopping and slicing the onions and garlic. Then, we have to take turn to stir the tomato sauce, as it took a long time for the sauce to be ready... Not use to the long stiring. Anyway, the pasta isn't that bad, just that it has a stronger tomato sauce taste.

Just today, I also baked my own, with the help of my aunt again. This time, instead of using can tomatoes to make the sauce, I used the fresh tomatoes. Hehe... I forgot to wash the tomatoes before slicing the up on the chopping board... Well, never mind if I have diarrhoea, since I have a bit of constipation... Anyway, I took a very long time to slice up the tomatoes, since I'm not used to those kitchen stuff. While pouring the tomatoes into the pot, I accidentally dropped some of the tomatoes slices onto the stove... Hmm... Hopefully the stove can still work... Ok, the rest is just stiring the creamy tomatoes stuff (because I added milk and flour to make it creamy) and to boil the pasta itself. It taste a bit blend, but I'm ok with that anyway... :P

MA1506 Chapter 1 Summary
Ok, I spent the whole of today typing out the summary for the Ordinary Differential Equations based on the lecture notes and some other source. Anyway, for those people who are interested, I've already uploaded them onto the IVLE communities. If you are the signallers that I know during army, then it would be under "The Signal Cove" community. If you are those people that I always sit with during lectures, then it will be under "The Back-Row Clan" community. If you happened to fall under both categories, then of course you can choose either one of them. If you are neither from those groups, then you can message me through MSN, or post your request on this blog. I'll send an e-mail about that.

Anyway, I'm using dy/dx and (d^2)y/dx^2, rather than y' and y'', as I feel that it is clearer in that sense (so that you won't mistook it as power of 1 or some other things). Of course, feel free to edit my summary if you think that there are some areas that need improvements, or to suit your own preference.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home