The Miz River 明志江河 ミジ川

The river reveals one's aspirations. Created on 30 March 2006. Row a boat to explore this river...

Friday, February 16, 2007

The Start of Mid-Term Break: Increasing Stress Level

The Past 6 Weeks
Just don't know why, this 6 weeks seems to pass by very quickly, just like a flash of lightning. I thought I'm still at the 1st week of school. Anyway, I realised that I haven't accomplish much during that past 6 weeks, and I don't know if I really learn anything in school as well... Oh well, Mid-Term tests are coming up, that will let me know if I really learn something from school.

Before the start of week 3, I'm already starting to feel the intense stress coming up. Still remember when Kai Quan told me how could there be stress even before tutorials started. Yup, I mean, Kai Quan is taking up 23 MCs of module, while I'm doing 25 MCs (this 2 MC really means a lot). CS1102C had taken up too much time from me. Yup, I'm doing C++ ALMOST EVERYDAY, almost to the point that I'm quite scared to starting up my computer... :P Ok, not to the point that is so serious yet, I'm just exaggerating (but if this continues, this may really happens). Still remember when I had to spend from Wednesday night to next Monday night to finish up my 1st CS1102C lab (even though it is not graded), almost neglecting other modules that I have. Good thing my SS doesn't take up too much time, just that we need to do up one project (in which we are about 65% finish by now).

Ok, let me talk about my feelings on each and individual modules that I experienced during the past 6 weeks.

Data Structures and Algorithms: This is the most time consuming module that I've taken. I spend almost my whole weekend just to finish up my lab (usually not really complete by Monday though), and also to rush up on my CS1102C tutorials. For tutorials, there will be a few people presenting the answers each week, so I've decided that during the week that I'm presenting, I'll be doing only that particular question he asked me to present. Ok, I don't really care too much about whether my program is compilable or not, as long as there's something, it's all fine with me. I'm also spending a lot of time trying to catch up with the lectures as well. Ok, at least I know how to implement basic classes, and also know how to make use of basic vectors, lists, stacks, queues and so on. So afterall, my standard is just at basic level. Even for my lab, I'm using my basic fundamentals from CS1101C programming methods (yup, that's how pathetic it can get).

Discrete Structures: So far CS1231 is fine with me, mostly about logical stuff, except for Mathematical Induction though. Ok, I know how to perform the normal Mathematical Induction, that's also taught in JC, but I have problems using Strong Mathematical Induction, as well as Well-Ordering Principles. Hmm... The mid-term test will also cover those topics, look like I'm going to write nonsensical stuff if they asked about Strong Mathematical Induction and Well-Ordering Principles.

Critical Thinking and Writing: Finally, I finished my critique and hand up to my tutor!!! Ok, I have to admit that the article used for the critique is kind of difficult, as there are a lot of difficult words used inside (well, it's written by a professor). So, I have to open up the online dictionary and check up on the words. The article is also difficult to digest as well, so I need to read the article several times in order to understand what the writer is trying to say. Well, kind of difficult to pinpoint his strengths and weaknesses, but eventually I managed to find some of the weaknesses (but think I may spot them wrongly). Quite difficult to find the strength of the article, so I try to squeeze up some out, to make my citique "looks nicer" :P Ok, now we have to prepare for the position paper, which is due in another few weeks time. Hmm... hopefully things go smoothly...

Mathematics II: Haiz... I'm one unfortunate student who got the lecturer that speaks and writes unclear English, and a tutor who don't know how to teach... Well, I've decided to switch tutorial classes (since there's no attendance marks). Still stay on to the same lecture group, since the other lectures clash with my other modules. Well, I'm still unclear with most of the topics, until I try to attempt the tutorials and read the lecture notes al over again (at least I have a basic understanding about those topics). Hmm... Looks like attending the lecture is of no use. I've decided to buy the textbook as well, as I find that the textbook is much clearer and easy to understand, which is much better than he lecture notes (yup, maybe the coordinator shouldn't have created the lecture notes instead). I also learn another lesson from the lecture, which is to bring a few clean sheets of paper. I realised that my lecture notes are so dirty and messy, that they become almost unreadable... Ok, maybe my handwriting isn't that neat, but well, there are just so many things to copy... Yup, our lecturer just don't like the lecture notes... Maybe should have gotten a camera handphone and take pictures on the lecture slides.

Introductory Materials Science and Engineering: Till now, I'm still wondering why I have to do MLE1101, even though I'm in Computer Engineering. Hmm... Do I need to know the materials we need to use, the crystal structures of the materials, or the defects in materials when I'm doing C++ programming? Well, I suppose there could be the case, since this is already the 21st century. Maybe one day, we need to know which is the correct materials to use and how to minimise the defects with the materials, when we are trying to make the C++ programming more efficient and fast. Yup, things gets weirder nowadays. Anyway, there are a lot of formulas and concepts that I need to remember for MLE1101, and remembering stuffs is something that I can be weak at... Hmm... Just hope for the best...

Changing Landscapes of Singapore: Hmm... This is one module that I haven't put in much effort... Ok, at least I contributed quite lot for the project, so at least I'm doing something for this module. Well, so far the lecture is the best among all the modules that I'm taking, so I try not to miss it (even though some people say that the lecture can be a bit redundant). Well, there are a lot of readings to do for the module (good thing they compiled the readings into book form), and now I've completed about 40% of the readings, even though I'll forget what I read after a short while... Hmm... Never mind, I'll try to find out the key points before the exam... Well, for the tutorials, we are supposed to contribute ideas about the issues we are discussing, but for the 1st tutorials (so far I only had 1 tutorials), I'm just talking nonsense... Ok, at least some of the nonsense do make senseto the topic.

The Run Last Saturday
Well, finally I had my first running session last Saturday at Bishan Park with Wei Qiang and Weibin. Well, I ran quite slowly during that run, as I had not been running for quite some time (the last time I ran before that was the 21km Standard Chartered Marathon last December), and I was not feeling well as well (I don't really want to collapse halfway in the park). Anyway, I also tried doing some pull-ups after the run, but only managed to do a few... Looks like I need to train up on my arm muscle as well... After that, we had our breakfast at McDonald's in Junction 8... Hmm... Looks like I putting back what I lose, but I'm ok with that anyway.

Coughing for 2 Weeks
Well, it started out with a runny nose (I supposed it's due to rapidly fluctuating weather), after that the runny nose affect my throat, and I start to have sore throat, resulting in the coughs that I have now... Well, Chinese New Year is coming, and this is happening... Ok, never mind, I'll still take junk food even though I'm sick :P Anyway, the cough had been quite bad for the past few days. I was coughing so much and so hard, that my throat almost split apart... Hmm... I wonder if anyone reading this is nice enough to share the remedy to get rid of the cough quickly...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home